« The year 2022 marks the 300th anniversary of the birth of the Bohemian composer Georg Anton (Jiri Antonin) Benda (30 June 1722, Stare Benatky, Bohemia – 6 November 1795, Köstritz, Saxony), who is considered a pioneer of melodrama. This important anniversary is an exceptional and unique opportunity to commemorate this remarkable figure of European music.
The Association for Central European Cultural Studies (ACECS) is therefore organizing an international scholarly symposium Georg Anton (Jiri Antonin) Benda 1722/2022 and music at Central European courts in the 18th century to be held in hybrid format in Prague on 14 and 15 October 2022. The organizers welcome proposals for papers concerned with the following topics:
- The life of Georg Anton Benda
- Benda’s compositional legacy
- Benda and melodrama
- Music at Central European courts during Benda’s lifetime
- Music of the Piarists and Jesuits in 18th century Bohemia
- Reception of Benda’s music in the 19th and 20th centuries »
Date limite de soumission (résumé de 200 mots à envoyer à benda1722-2022(a)seznam.cz) : 12 septembre 2022.